- 30×30 grid map
- Stone Circle
- Stone Circle with tentacle horror
Patron Exclusive Variants:
- Night, Torches
- Altar, Night, Torches
- Night, Torches, Tentacle horror
Notes and Tips
- Switch out the versions. If you are using this map on a VTT you could have the standard version on top and the tentacle version underneath and at some point in the fight, switch them around (To Back in Roll20).
- Players don’t need to be trying to stop a ritual, they could be protecting someone performing a ritual while waves of enemies attack.
- The path to the left could lead into a dark forest or a windswept moor, DM’s choice.
- The centre of the portal could (should) spew monsters.
- The edges of the portal could be difficult terrain and the smaller tentacles could try to grapple the players if they enter it.
- The tentacles could be holding open the portal, only once the players have done enough damage to them can they close the portal.
- Glowing doorways open on the sides of each stone within the circle, the enemies jump into them and can appear at any other stone in the circle instantly without taking opportunity attacks. If a player tries to do the same thing they make a wisdom saving throw. If they succeed the doorways work as they do for the enemies. If not they randomly appear at a door and have some kind of penalty, say blindness for a round due to glimpsing something mortals should never see.
- Horrific effects! Each round, due their proximity to the horror, the players could have a small chance of getting some minor psychic disadvantage:
- Blurry vision
- Black and white sight
- Auditory hallucinations
- It could get more physical:
- A player character’s hand grows suckers
- Their skin begins to change colour or texture to match their surroundings
- They randomly start speaking in abyssal
How permanent these effects are is really up to how evil you are feeling. Oh the possibilities, get creative! Have fun with the map and happy early Halloween!