This week’s map is another suggestion from our patron suggestion list, I’ve call it The Grand Theatre, but of course it could be used as an opera house, or some kind of private club or venue. I took a look around the web and couldn’t find any high quality theatre maps, so I think this will be a fun and quite unique location for an encounter or two. I’m also playing through Dragon Heist at the moment and I believe a Theatre map would really be useful for anyone starting that campaign.
As always thanks for your support, you’re awesome!
The theatre’s grand opening is the talk of the town, everyone of note is here, local nobility, politicians, merchants and trades people. It’s unfortunate such a splendid event should be marred by tragedy. The deaths during its renovation were unfortunate to be sure, but more worrying are the numerous ‘accidents’ which have befallen the cast and crew. That is in fact why you, a lowly adventuring group have managed to acquire tickets. Your new employer Lord Feathermoor is worried about another incident, especially with so many of his peers in attendance. You have been hired to mingle among the guests and watch for anything untoward. Standing at the back of the auditorium you wait for the performance to begin, you’ve seen the cast in rehearsals, they are actually rather good.
Mostly seated now the audience murmurs in anticipation. The lights begin to dim, a simple enchantment to the buildings crystal globe lamps. Then without warning the lights wink out completely. In the dark you hear surprised gasps and the odd cry. You hear someone walking across the floorboards of the stage and then another sound, a laugh, starting low and slowly raising in pitch and volume. As it reaches a mad crescendo the lights blaze on to reveal a hooded figure, arms held to the heavens laughing maniacally. From experience you are expecting a monologue, and unfortunately for you and the audience you are not disappointed.
Notes and Tips
30×30 grid map
- There are three levels to this map, the auditorium floor, the stage itself and the boxes and balconies. Each area can be reached by multiple routes. Make sure to use these for surprise reinforcements if needed.
- Moving along the pews is full movement, moving towards or away from the stage is difficult terrain as you are climbing over them.
- It’s a bit cliched but having a phantom sabotage the performance seems like a fun scenario.
- An explorer has returned from some distant land bringing with him a marvelous and dangerous creature from the deepest wilds! The cage he is displaying the creature in is totally secure and will definitely not break as he taunts it.
- You are invited to a masquerade party with entertainment. Is everyone there evil? Are they doing and saying weird and unsettling things? Sure why not.
- One of the boxes is haunted and your players need to do a bit of ghostbusting. You could incorporate a worried manager and lots of destruction!
- Cultists have taken some theatregoers hostage and it’s your
- players job to extract them.
- A black market auction takes place here, only the very worst people are invited, which includes your party.