I’m finally ready to launch my next map! This one is the Grand Laboratory patron suggestion from our map suggestions list, renamed ‘The Workshop’.
The original suggestion was some kind of lab, maybe a necromancer or alchemist. I also wanted it to have a super villain vibe, so it could work as a boss room/lair. In the end I went with a dark creepy feel and with enough bits of ‘technology’ to work as an alchemists workshop or some sort of Frankenstein ‘re-animator’ style necromancer/mad scientist lab.
I wanted to make sure there were as many story hooks sprinkled around this map as possible and overall I think it does the job quite well 🙂
As always thank you for your support, I hope you enjoy pitting your players against some version of Doctor Evil, Frankenstein or Captain Nemo. And now to the map Notes!
Ahead of you two giant scaled creatures block your way. They hiss menacingly as they claw at the chains holding them at bay. From the dark entrance beyond you hear an amused voice.
“My pets will not harm you. Come, it has been long since I have had visitors.”
The chains are pulled back, dragging the creatures aside and leaving an uncomfortably narrow path forward. You tentatively move between the beasts, they watch you silently, drool dripping from their maws. As you drag your eyes away from the lizards to the room ahead, you let out a startled gasp. The room is large, lit with candles and arcane lights, book cases line the walls. A large vat of green liquid sits to the side, a huge shadowy shape twitches in the murky water. Ahead stands a man, dressed in fine but outdated clothes. His face is calm, his eyes bright with a fiery intensity. Just behind him, looming ten feet above, is a huge shape shrouded in white linen.
“Ah, I see you have noticed my masterpiece. They said it was folly. They said it couldn’t be done. They said I was mad. Mad to think to create such a thing. I’ll show them, I’ll show them all what folly is! And you dear visitors will be the first to witness the power of my creation! Behold!”
With a flourish he whips the cloth from the shape revealing an abomination beyond your worst fears. You hear the bard vomit behind you, that will be omitted from his tale, if he ever gets to write it. With a resigned sigh you draw your weapons. Time to go to work.
Notes and Tips
- This could work very well as a secret lair of some villain, a mad mage, a crazed Alchemist or Necromancer.
- I’ve left the centre free for you to add some type of monster. A Golem would work very well, or maybe magical armour or some large undead creature.
- Have the villain stand inside the golden sphere in the device at the back of the map. This device could protect the villain while he controls his creation. Each orb could absorb a spell or must be destroyed before the villain is exposed to the players.
- The Library is protected by a ‘guardian’ standing motionless within the large magic circle. Triggered by… well mostly anything the players do.
- The smaller magic circles could spawn spirits or wisps that move around the map doing unpleasant things.
- The large vat on the left could house some kind of electrical creature which is being uses to power something on the dais.
- I’ve added an empty tank asset to the asset folder in the download post.
- The centre dais tiles can be replaced by a water asset (see asset folder) to create a pool full of… lets go with sharks.
- Magic could be absorbed by the conductors on the dais.
- This could be used as a magical research facility, or even the player’s base.
I think that’s about it for this release, thanks again for your support. Have a great week and happy adventuring!
The Library (lit and unlit)
Undersea Lair with moon pool