The Bathhouse battle map is finally here, this was another suggestion by you, my wonderful Patrons. I loved this idea and I’m really happy with how it turned out. I spent some time researching Onsen (Japanese Hot Springs/Bathhouses), I’ve never actually been to a bathhouse so YouTube really helped with finding out all about them. I also wanted to make sure this could be used in a more general fantasy setting, so although its certainly got a Onsen look, it should fit into most fantasy towns or cities without much work. Lets face it, every campaign should have at least one Bathhouse episode 😀
Thank you all for your support, I’m so happy to have you along for the ride, have a wonderful week and happy adventuring. And now to the notes!
Just to clarify for new patrons, each map launch contains a launch post like this one, and a single downloads post for your Patreon tier. In that download post is everything you need, include map download files and a PDF of these notes.
You lower yourself slowly into the uncomfortably hot water, steam drifts off its surface creating a dreamlike haze in the humid interior. Dark stone tiles line the baths, contrasting with the blond wood that makes up the walls and walkways of this traditional establishment. Translucent paper screens split the bathhouse interior into discrete bathing areas, a skylight above allows for an uninterrupted view of the heavens. You lean back with a sigh of satisfaction. You can hear murmured conversations from nearby bathers and further off the rushing of water from the fast moving stream behind the bathhouse.
As your eyes begin to close the light from the skylight is obscured for a moment, you catch a glimpse of a humanoid shape silhouetted against the sky. Without thought you jump to your feet but the shape is gone. Glancing towards your weapons propped against the door you signal your comrades. From next door you hear a cry. Shapes flash across the paper screen separating your rooms. Two figures struggle, shadows playing across the paper, then with a crash the figures burst through tumbling into your bath. From above, you see black clad shapes drop from the skylights. It seams bath time will have to wait.
Notes and Tips
30×20 Battle Map
- This makes for a great place to meet clandestinely.
- Assassination attempts are always fun, either by the party or have the party trying to prevent one.
- Mob Bosses love bathhouses.
- Every adventure needs a hot springs/bathhouse episode.
- Water elementals can invade from the river, or any number of creatures could climb into the Bathhouse from the open area at the rear.
- Glowing spectres or ghosts can haunt the place, lighting up the paper walls so the party can see them from other rooms.
- Have enemy casters heat the water creating steam clouds to obscure the view or freeze a bath trapping players in place.
- This would be a fun and uncomfortable place to hold a murder mystery.
- If the Bathhouse has paper walls you can easily have people crash through them, opening up the battle area.
- The large room at the back is open at the rear, with just a fence and drop off between it and the river.
- Remember to take into account that players may not be wearing armor, so adjust your encounter strengths with this in mind!
Candle light – For those romantic assassination attempts
The Boiling House – A Nine Hells location or pocket plain