Our next map is ready to go! This time it’s the Fire Giant’s Forge suggested by you lovely patrons! This is the first lava style map I’ve created, the lighting was certainly something a little different to work with. Fire Giants are a great choice for a higher level party but could be swapped out for something a little less deadly without much trouble. The variants should give a little flexibility to the map. There is an extra cage variant which could work as a prison, a variant with smaller tools and anvils for Duergar Dwarves. There is also a green chamber variant with glowing water.
As always thank you so much for your support, have a wonderful week and happy adventuring! On to the notes!
The tunnel shudders as another earth tremor shakes the mountain. You place a hand on the wall to stabilise yourself and quickly pull away, the heat radiating from the rock has becoming uncomfortably hot to the touch. Ahead you see a slight orange fiery glow. The sound of tools on metal can be heard ringing out ahead.
Moving forward you reach an opening which leads into a huge chamber. Ancient stone tiles cover the floor, in places jagged cracks split them, spilling light and heat from the lava that boils away below. Channels of stone funnel a lava river across the chamber. Anvils, hammers, tongs and other metalworking tools litter the ground, ingots of dark metal are stacked around the work area. Towards the back of the chamber is a huge cage, a number of crudely made wooden beds inside. The perspective of the scene seems off somehow, maybe due to the heat haze. You see movement from a bed, it seems at least one of the captives still lives.
Carefully you cross the chamber, it’s only as you get closer to the tools you realise what is amiss. The tools are huge, far larger than any normal man could lift, with a sinking feeling in your stomach you hear a low rumbling laugh erupt from a dark corner.
“What ‘ave we ‘ere? Little men come a’ tip toe’in into ma home, lookin to steal ma dinner? Tut tut. ‘Ow rude!”.
A huge figure, which you mistook as a boulder looms up from the shadows, at least sixteen feet in height, its frame stocky and brutish. The bard tries to stifle a pitiful whimper. The giant licks its lips, raises a huge cleaver and steps towards you.
Notes and tips
30×30 Map Grid
- Although this is called a Fire Giants Forge it could be the home of many types of larger humanoids or monsters, it doesn’t need to be a working forge. Ogres, Hill Giants, Stone Giants or even Trolls could be used, plus any number of cave dwelling beasts.
- Fire giants are known to capture hostages for ransom.
- Fire Giants are immune to fire and lava, have it wade through the lava or splash it at the players.
- The lava cracks can ‘erupt’ making a flame wall, look at the Wall of Fire spell for inspiration. Make it a random event or controlled by the baddies!
- Have the giant throw iron ingots at the players.
- The cage doors are extremely heavy and require a strength check to open.
- The cage could house a monstrous pet instead of captives, or the lava could have some sort of creature/guardian in it, Fire Salamanders for example.
- There are three entrances, however only the bottom entrance is large enough for a giant to easy fit. The other two require swearing and grease.
- The beds could be used by Duergar smiths or guards which are allied with the giant, or dwarven slaves working under duress.
Duergar Dwarf Forge (Regular sized forge)
The Green Vault
Extra cage (Prison chamber)